Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC Racing 74 Honda MiniTrail Resto Mod.

Carlo C. is offline 120cc

CC Racing 74 Honda MiniTrail Resto Mod.

Guys,
    Since we have just about finished our Hardtails we decided to find a project that we could build the way we like. Then we could use it to test the waters to see if it would be worth building and selling these as really nice resto bikes that you would enjoy riding. We came across a deal for 2 bikes and enough parts for maybe 3 or 4 of various years for sale locally so we picked them up and this week we started on the 74 project.

The story we got on this particular little bike was that it originally belonged to a older gentleman who had completely stripped it down and started to restore it. He blasted the frame forks, wheels, exhaust and stripped the gas tank. He collected some really nice parts for it including new tires, tubes, seat and handlebars, but before he could finish the project he passed away. His son in law tried to finish the project, but knew very little about this type of project. He rattle can painted the frame, swing arm, tank front forks and side cover. even with the cobble job of putting the bike together we could tell that it had a lot of potential. That is why we decided to rebuild this one first.

Our plans are to have the Tank, forks and Side Cover professionally painted. Have the frame, swingarm, wheels, taillight bracket, Triple tree, footpeg assembly and all exhaust shields powdercoated. Update the engine with a TB parts 88 kit and all new seals gaskets and use a new wire harness. We will install all new bearings and seals in the wheels along with new brakes. New Fenders, rear shocks and rebuild the front forks with delrin bushins and heavy duty springs and all new cables.This should insure that whomever purchases the bike when finished will get years of use out of it without any problems at all. When we finally put all of this together it should make for a show quality bike that has some really good pep and still looks like a genuine 74 minitrail.

Here are some pics of the bike before we took it apart:
    74 4.jpg 74 1.jpg 74 3.jpg
    74.jpg 74 2.jpg 74 5.jpg

Here are some pics as it came apart:
    74 6.jpg 74 7.jpg 74 9.jpg
    74 8.jpg 74 11.jpg 74 12.jpg
    74 10.jpg
    Last edited by Carlo C.; 01-19-2012 at 01:37 AM.

olyelr is offline 50cc
    Well jeez, I take it you build minis for a living? I really like the plan you have for these bikes... simple and stockish, yet functional.

So, you are building to sell? How much do you think they will be going for once rebuilt and ready for another 30+ years?

Quote Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
    Well jeez, I take it you build minis for a living? I really like the plan you have for these bikes... simple and stockish, yet functional.

So, you are building to sell? How much do you think they will be going for once rebuilt and ready for another 30+ years?
    olyelr,
    We are not doing it for a living that's for sure, but we would like to do it as a side job just because we enjoy building them. We are way to slow and picky to build them fast enough to make much money at it. I guess every bike will be priced differently depending on what needs to be replaced or needs to be found to complete. Then it will depend on how crazy we get with the build. There is one thing I can tell you if we are going to put our name on them they will be done right or I will not do them. I think this particular 74 model when done will fall between $2,400 to $2,800. It will actually be nicer then it was when it was new and certainly have more power and speed.

Here is a list of things it will have:

Rebuilt Engine

TB 88 Big Bore Kit
    New Carb
    New Intake
    New Piston
    New Rings
    New Cylinder
    New Seals
    New Gaskets
    High Volume Oil Pump
    Magnetic Drain Plug
    New Stator Assembly
    New Points
    New Condensor
    New 15 Sprocket
    New Kick Start Lever
    New Shift Lever
    Both Side covers painted Cloud Silver
    Head cleaned and valves lapped
    New Plug

Frame
    Stainless Steel Bolts used throughout bike where applicable
    Frame Powdercoated
    Swing Arm Powdercoated
    Chain Guard Powdercoated
    Exhaust powdercoated
    Exhaust shields powdercoated
    Tail Light Bracket Powdercoated
    Foot Peg Assembly Powdercoated
    Kick Stand Powdercoated
    Triple tree bracket Powdercoated
    Handle Bar bracket polished
    New Knobs for Handle bars
    New Brake cable
    New throttle cable
    New Handle bars
    New Grips
    New Handle bar grommets
    Seat recovered
    New Gas cap
    New race pet cock
    New Fuel Line
    New Filter
    New Chrome Fenders
    New Rear Shocks

Wheels
    Rims powdercoated
    Hubs Polished
    New Brake shoes
    New Tires
    New Tubes
    New Bearings
    New Seals
    New Adjusters
    New 34 sprocket

Wiring
    New Wiring Harness
    New Headlight assembly
    New Taillight assembly
    New Stator Assembly on engine

Painted Parts
    Tank Professionally painted Base Coat, Clear Coat
    Forks Professionally painted Base Coat, Clear Coat
    Side Cover Professionally painted Base Coat, Clear Coat
    New Decals for tank and sidecover

Front forks
    New Delrin Bushins
    New Seals
    New Heavy Duty Springs
    New Rubber Boots
    Last edited by Carlo C.; 01-20-2012 at 02:09 PM.

olyelr is offline 50cc
    Thats a very fair price. It doesn't seem like you would be making much money, if any at all, at that price. With a parts list like that, the out of pocket expense very quickly starts rising... and that is not including labor (which I am sure you are happy to give that away, just to be able to work on something).

0lyelr,
    We are not looking to make a fortune. Until the bike is completely done and ready to be sold that will just be a rough estimate. Each bike will be priced different as you never know exactly what each one will need. We are looking forward to putting some really nice bikes out there.

Carlo

Guys,
    I know it has been a while, but we have been busy at work and riding our hardtails. We decided to get back in gear and get back to finishing our softtail build. We got the frame swing arm and box full of Misc parts back from the powdercoater and we got the tank, side cover and forks back from the painter. I started putting it together this afternoon just to see what parts we still need. We were going to build this bike to test the market on Resto mod style Z50's. Problem is it has already sold and we have not even finished it yet. So I guess we will test the waters with the next one.

Here are the pictures of the parts and the progress so far this thing is really nice so far the pictures do it no justice

Last edited by Carlo C.; 03-15-2012 at 03:07 AM.

We only did a few small things over the weekend. We added the stickers and also the top clamp and handlebars. We are waiting on some parts to put the front forks back together.

Check it out:

Carlo C.
    Last edited by Carlo C.; 03-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Guys,
    We got a little work done this afternoon. Got the Honda rear fender, tailight, and headlight bolted on with all the stainless or chrome bolts. Man this bike is going to be hard to let go off when it is time.

Carlo
    Last edited by Carlo C.; 03-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Guys,

It has been a while since we have worked on this bike, but we finally have got back to the mini's. It has been killing us that this little 74 Z50 has just been collecting dust. This bike is so nice to look at the color combo is amazing. This bike was being built for a customer, but when my buddy Lucas had some health problem we sold the customer the hardtail we had built for Lucas. This bike will be for sale real soon as we are going to use the money to build Lucas a Bar Stool Racer with a Honda Mini trail engine with left hand controls since he can not ride a mini any longer.

Well the next thing on the list was to completely rebuild the original engine. Someone had done a decent job of rebuilding it before we got it, but there was no way we were going to trust anything that we did not do ourselves so apart it came. We completely disassembled it, washed all the parts in the parts washer, checked everything and started to reassemble with all of the new parts. We had bought a ton of new parts for this thing from Mike at TB Parts when we started on the project so it was time to finally put them to use. I installed a high volume oil pump, oil pump shaft, oil pump sprocket, drilled the oil passage, installed new gaskets, seals, all stainless allen screws, TB 88cc kit with aluminum cylinder, all new stater assembly, magnetic drain plug, new 20mm carb, manifold and air filter. I took the head apart bead blasted all the years of nastiness off of it cleaned it, lapped the valves and put it back together. I have a few little things left to do like bead blast the acorn nuts on the front of the cylinder and get some cloud silver paint from Honda this week and paint the clutch side cover and freshen the flywheel cover. I also took the 12 sprocket off and added a 14 tooth.

Now that the engine is finished and fresh it should really run great. It is now a 88cc with all new electronics, gaskets, seals, piston, rings, cylinder and and new carb. It went about 35 years before this rebuild so hopefully it will last at least half that long before the next one.

I will post some more pictures of the bike once we install the engine.

Still have a little work left, but here is the engine just about done.
    Last edited by Carlo C.; 05-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.

bullitt is offline 120cc
    Very nice work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast