Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CT70 Silver Tag Question?

hornetgod is offline 120cc
    My Dad has a 9/69 black tag and has a serial number of 118xxx. 9/69 was the first month they switched from silver tags to black tags. If this is a silver tag, which I believe it is, it could be the latest documented example.

Below is a link to my Dad's...
    My Dad got a great deal.
    Last edited by hornetgod; 11-01-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    1969 Z50A K1 Candy Red/Silver (Silver Tag)
    CT70HKO Candy Emerald Green (Restored)
    1971 CT70HK1 Candy Ruby Red (Restored)
    1972 CT70K2 Candy Topaz Orange (Grandfather's original)
    1973 CT70K3 Candy Riviera Blue (Restored)
    1980 Z70R Gloss Apple Red (Restomod)

ctbale is offline 120cc
    I think the hole for the tail light says its a silver tag too. the paint is in kinda rough shape ... maybe you should sell it too me! lol

racerx is offline Super Moderator
    Some black tag examples have the topside hole for the tail light wiring. However, the lack of rivet holes for the VIN tag, in combination with the topside wiring pass-through, pretty well "seals the deal". Doesn't look like anyone did anything constructive to this bike, let alone remove a black VIN tag, weld-in, metalfinish & paint the holes. Until a few years ago, who gave a damn?

66Coronet is offline 70cc
    Ok if this is a late silver tag would some of the oddities not be on it? The hubs on the bike have the casting bosses on them. I would think they would be the original ones sence they look as bad as the bike. I do not know about the exhaust because it was not there.
    If this would be one of the latest silver tag known does that make it rare. Would doing a full restore on it be worth it?

Thanks again Scott!

hornetgod is offline 120cc
    I doubt being a late Silver Tag would make it more desirable. The earlier the better. The hard part you're going to deal with when it comes to restoring it is that all the rare things that made the silver tags unique have been discontinued and/or are very expensive (stubby exhaust, front fender with lip, plastic levers, seat with bolts, speedometer with cloth hi-beam). Once you source all that and restore the engine and frame you could be talking about several thousand dollars. We just resently saw a flawless example of a restored Silver Tag bid up to $2,250 on Ebay and not hit the reserve price.
    1969 Z50A K1 Candy Red/Silver (Silver Tag)
    CT70HKO Candy Emerald Green (Restored)
    1971 CT70HK1 Candy Ruby Red (Restored)
    1972 CT70K2 Candy Topaz Orange (Grandfather's original)
    1973 CT70K3 Candy Riviera Blue (Restored)
    1980 Z70R Gloss Apple Red (Restomod)

Ok well I was going to do a Millitary with it but if it is collectible. I dont want to do that. And I really do not want to stick a rton of money into it. So if anyone would be interrested in it make me an offer.

Thanks Scott!

ctbale is offline 120cc
    Scott, I am the same spot you are in now, I have few frames, 2 are pristine, a HK0 and a K0 and a kinda rusty HK1, and a few others, some have had questionable past, like the black label removed, or a 1 obviously changed to a 7 for dubious reasons, I have a 125 lifan, and a 3 and a 4 speed motors I have redone and I am going crazy which ones to match up. You might be better off trading that one for a three speed frame with no corrosion. But like hornetgod was saying (I think) I don't know who would buy that frame from you, knowing the expense he would incur, and not even be able to recover 40 cents on the dollar.

racerx is offline Super Moderator
    Some, if not all, of the unobtanium items (plastic levers, early muffler, etc) went bye-bye before the silver tags did. The wire routing, alone, doesn't necessarily mean a silver tag bike. Honda made a lot running changes in the first several weeks of production. It doesn't really matter in this case, because, as Bill pointed out there's just too much missing.

From a collectibility standpoint, all you have is a silver tag frame w/matching engine, plus a swingarm and most of the fork. This thing isn't even a true "roller". Ebay isn't the be-all/end-all arbiter of resale value; in fact, it's lost most of its former luster. There's a lot of misrepresented crap and many jurisdictions consider any bike sold via ebay to be stolen. It really hurts legit sellers of top product. Plus this is dead season and the global economy is total

The frame does look to be solid & reasonably straight. Who knows, the engine could be pretty decent internally; if it spins freely, you might actually be able to turn a modest profit on the parts you have. Dunno if there's a collector out there rabid enough, or just in search of the challenge that restoring this remnant would present. This is the kind of bike that seems to benefit from the current state of ebay.

This might be a good, solid, platform for a custom, or restomod, as you've planned. The price was right(!) If doing so leaves a few purists outraged, "oh well"! There's a place for non-stockers, too. You'd be saving a bike from being recycled into dog food cans. Most importantly, it's your project so build it as you see fit. IMHO, better that this gets turned back into a clean bike, ridden & enjoyed. That's where its value is to be realized.

Thanks for the info. That is what I wanted to know. I did not want to do a costume build with a bike that was rare. But if it does not have much value I will use it for the Millitary build. I will have a few hundred in the motor. And with all
    the other parts just needing painting and no chrome I can do a cheap build to play with. I just finished a full restoration on a 75 QA50 and almost done with a full restoration on a 76 CT70. Then I am looking at a S90 to do next!

Thanks again for your help Scott!

If your looking for an S90 engine i have an early one with the aluminum jug and new rings Id let go for cheap
    a 17 year old mechanic's current projects:
    1972 Ford Cortina 2.0l
    1975 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro
    1993 Ford Ranger
    NO MINI AT THE MOMENT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)