Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: paint code for Cloud Silver

Gary is offline 120cc

paint code for Cloud Silver

What does everyone use for Cloud Silver? Anyone have paint codes for auto paint, as I don't like to use cans. It's hard to find a paint that is not too "metallic". Do you also use cloud silver on the engine side covers? Thanks

racerx is offline Super Moderator
    There is no useful paint code for Cloud silver; that also applies to every other CT70 color. The best paint for the wheels, hubs and engine side covers (the cases themselves were not painted) used to be Duplicolor "Steel Wheels" wheel paint. It was just about dead-on, cheap and amazingly durable...even chemical resistant. Unfortunately, like anything else that makes life easier, Duplicolor discontinued it late last year With luck, you might find a retailer that still has a few cans on the shelf. One can will cover everything you need, with material to spare.

Your best bet is to try some other wheel paints. I wouldn't recommend using regular automotive paints or catalyzed urethanes on wheels or sidecovers. Wheel paints are "DTM" direct-to-metal. That gives a thin, chip-resistant, finish that's easily redone and doesn't hold in heat. Automotive paints require primer to adhere and clearcoat for durability, they tend to have too much gloss and chip more easily than wheel paint. Catalyzed urethanes are thicker still, not a great idea on an engine.

Hammerite smooth finish silver, is marginally passible, but not quite right. You're probably going to have to do some experimenting. At least rattlecans are cheap.

MotoEnzo is offline 50cc
    If you don't like to use cans, I would take that to mean that you are using a professional gun. When i originally had my paint made to match, i bought a new wheel half & had the local auto body supply store custom mix the paint for me. If you have any cloud silver part around, do the same. Tell them that it's ok to use a matting agent to keep the overall shine down. FWIW my shop started with an old Aston Martin silver (couldn't tell you which one, but I'm sure there arent many) to start with & went from there.
    Enzo

Gary is offline 120cc
    Thanks Guys, I took a nos gas tank I have to a paint supply shop to match and got as close as they could, seems that today's paints have more flakes in it than the cloud silver had. Any way I just wanted to know what others have done, seems like we are all on the same page. I was using a company that sells auto accessories (Girots) for paint for my engine cases,good match but little on the bright side and naturally it"s been discontinued. When I do run out I'm going to try their paint that is used for BMW and Mercedes wheel refinshing,these by the way are in cans. Gary

racerx is offline Super Moderator
    It's best to use wheel paint because it's usually resistant to petroleum products and can be cleaned without damage/discoloration.

I've noticed that metallics have become coarser in recent years than they were 30 years ago. And that brought to mind the vintage-match wheel paints the Eastwood sells. I read somewhere that Argent silver wheel paint was a close match. That makes sense, since it was used on `60s era musclecars. Can't verify if that's true or not, but might be worth a shot.

vintagehondapaint.com has the cloud silver if you ask.
    Jim
    '76 Z50 parakeet yellow
    '70 CT70 K0 candy ruby red (classic)
    '70 CT70 HK0 <---SOLD
    '72 CT70 K1 <---SOLD
    '72 CT70 HK1 <---SOLD
    '71 SL70 K0 - next project
    '70 SL100 K0 - recently finished light ruby red
    '71 SL125 K0 - strato blue metallic

makotosun is offline 120cc
    Another good silver paint is the Duplicolor Silver Brake Caliper paint. It is extremely durable, heat and chemical resistant and goes on bare metal very nicely. It may be a bit too "bright" for the honda application, but I used it on an early Yamaha enduro motor case and it looks perfect and so far is very, very durable.

I don't have an original silver cloud part to compare it to, but it is not too expensive for someone to try.

Vero Beach, Florida-90 miles southeast of Orlando
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hey guys I just got some Argent silver paint from Eastwood and painted my wheels yesterday after beadblasting them,very close to a dead on match,looks real good.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bjatwood is offline 120cc
    Here is a pic of my freshly painted cases and rims. I bought a rattlecan of this color silve from Jeff at www.mingunz.com.Jeff has this color made up for him from some paint company? I think it came out pretty close in color. I chose this paint from comments found on this site, and from seeing a buddy's Minitrail 70 that he had done using this paint. It covered real well with plenty of paint leftover from one can.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bjatwood; 01-19-2008 at 01:43 PM.

mrichard is offline 120cc
    That is #4201 Silver Tone Lacquer from IES (International Epoxies and Sealers) They are in San Antonio, Fl. 1 800 451-7206.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-21-2013, 08:49 PM