Reclaimed S90

Discussion in 'The Gastank' started by red69, May 27, 2016.

  1. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386

    Attached Files:

    scooter likes this.
  2. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    Since my wife made the suggestion that black bags may look better on the bike, I took her command and ordered a set, in black. Another under $30 item shipped from China. Who am I to disobey a spouse?



    20180201_170147.jpg
     
    scooter, allenp42, ArtStu and 2 others like this.
  3. scooter

    scooter Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1,151
    Likes Received:
    129
    Like the black - sharp
     
  4. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    I've been doing some small pieces on the white S90 I bought last year. I was able to get two pretty good chrome side panels and tank emblems that were being sold on Ebay. They make the tank look pretty good. I also tackled the fenders that were not treated very nice over 14,000 road miles. Had to resort to some body filler and copious sanding of filler and primer. Today I was able to finish up the satin clear-coat application.
     

    Attached Files:

    scooter likes this.
  5. allenp42

    allenp42 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2014
    Messages:
    561
    Likes Received:
    140
    That tank looks amazing. Same goes for the fenders.
     
  6. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    The tank caused a bit of grief. I needed a different mount at the rear. Later model S90's are bolted to the frame. My frame (1965) needed a slip-in mount that is encased in a piece of rubber. The original tank was well beyond rusty so I sourced a decent one that was a later model (bolt on). I had to swap out the old tank's mount and this involved welding. I tried two shops and neither wanted to touch a gas tank, so I did it myself. Of course it leaked, and following a racerx tip, I silver soldered everything. Voila, no leaks. You can see the mount located at the rear of the tank on the left side of this picture.

    20180525_214939_resized.jpg
     
  7. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    In hindsight, it would have been much easier to weld a nut to the frame to accept the bolt-on tank.
     
  8. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    Scooter rebuilt two sets of S90 rear shocks for me. The plastic "cans" were good on one set and the other set's cans can be described as non-existent and iffy. The iffy one I was able to wrap with fiberglass and epoxy to keep the plastic together. The other one I threw out because it was cracked and falling apart. I made a copy out of fiberglass and epoxy and it is good enough to use. The copy is on the left in the picture.
     

    Attached Files:

    scooter likes this.
  9. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    I reassembled one set of shocks with newly painted cans. Here is a before and after.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. allenp42

    allenp42 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2014
    Messages:
    561
    Likes Received:
    140
    Nice work! Your repaired one looks great as well. I enjoyed seeing parts brought back from the grave.
     
  11. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    Here's another piece that needed attention. The main stand pivot pipe was rusted to the main stand and would not slide out even with persuasion from a hammer. I soaked it as best I could with a 1/2 acetone and 1/2 tranny fluid mix for a day. I hit it with the hammer and it still would not move. Next up, the heat wrench. Propane torched it into submission and the hammer persuader and it finally moved. After I got it out I cleaned it and the main stand bore. Now it slides in and out just fine.
     

    Attached Files:

  12. red69

    red69 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2014
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    386
    As we have seen at one time or another, a misplaced battery vent tube can cause problems. The one on this S90 probably spent time inside the frame, causing holes to form in the steel. I used some 18 ga. sheet to repair the damage and it led to a second patch because of blow-through with the wire feed welder on the lowest setting. If I were better at welding it probably wouldn't have occurred. Oh well, it's repaired and ready for the blaster.
     

    Attached Files:

    allenp42 likes this.

Share This Page