Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Projects/Builds' started by oldmanaz, Nov 9, 2012.
Bear with me, first time posting.
1970 Z50 K1 found on CL. I restored a Trail 70 last year, but found it was just a little too big to fit in the van for camping trips. Sold it earlier this year. This Z50 came around on CL for a smoking deal. So, the work begins. Mostly complete, but will need some work. Will keep you all updated on progress as I get familiar with posting here. This site is such a great resource.
Frame stripped and ready for paint. Made a handy holder for the frame. The steering stop on the neck was tweeked pretty bad. Cut it off and am in the process of making a new one. Once that is done, the frame can be sanded and painted.
While the frame sits, I decided to do some work on the wheels and hubs. A friend turned me on to a product called Evaporust. It is available at Harbor Freight. As you can see it works great on rusted metal. Also worked great on the stuck slide on the carburetor.
The tank had some areas with some severe dents, but rust free. The dents were from where the fork tubes hit the tank because of the mangled steering stop. I am in no way a body man, but did my best. Instead of using Bondo to simply fill in the dents, I used JB Weld to bring the areas in question close to where they should be. Then, a light coat of Bondo. Took some time and patience but it turned out ok. A friend of mine welded the front area of the tank to make it smooth. He also welded and sanded the lower edges of the tank to make them smooth also. Initially they looked very rough towards the back. But it all seemed to be factory finish.
Nice. I so want a 50.
Looking good. Keep the updates coming.
these small bikes are so much fun to work on. i deal with expensive cars everyday. so much easier and cost less to restore than a car of the same vintage. i am hooked.
Wow looks great! I am in Az too and must have missed that on CL. Great find!
After repainting the wheels I installed some new Golden Boy tires and tubes. So far they have held air. Then the tedious part, the polishing of the hubs and brake assemblies. Just the sanding of the parts took at least an hour a piece. Buffed them on the polishing wheel and then went over it with some 2000 grit and then the polish wheel again. A light coat of clear was applied. Definitely not a show bike, just a chance to practice my polishing. Thanks for all the kind words.
the picture the polished hub was taken before the final polishing. those scratches are gone!
i am going to be installing the All Balls headset bearings. just to be clear, i am going to have to machine off the inner race of the upper bearing nut for these to work. correct? i think i did the same to the CT70 last year but can't remember. there does not seem to be another way for that nut to fit flush on the upper bearing. Thanks.
My wife would kill me if I put tires on the table! Nice fruit basket though lol
keep the pics coming look'in good!
my mom made that basket for me. she is really into working with gourds. and you couldn't guess what is under my bed.
Nice pick-up on CL. I saw that one when it was first listed but sadly im moving out of the Avondale area and had to pass on this deal.
Finally got the steering stop made and welded to the frame yesterday. Verified that the forks won't hit the tank and made some corrections so that i would get the most steering angle. Today will be spent sanding the frame and cleaning out all the tapped holes before primer. Pictures to follow later.
Sanded down the frame after it was previously stripped to bare metal. Used a Duplicolor etching primer. Have to ligtly sand it with some 400 grit paper and then the Primer. The stand is nice, but I may have to find another way to support the frame for final painting. Kind of tough to get the area where the frame bolts to the stand. This might not be seen once the engine is in, but then again not.
good work! Keep the progress post up man, I really enjoy it
did you paint that tank with airgun or just rattle can?
Rattle can. I have access to a painter at work but did not want to go there.... Just trying to develop some painting skills. I have been using all Duplicolor products on this paint job. Tank silver--Perfect Match Silver Metallic BGM0535. Tank and frame blue--Perfect Match Intense Blue Pearl BCC0422. Followed by Duplicolor's Perfect Match Clear Coat. The wheels and parts of the hubs were painted with Duplicolor Engine Enamel Cast Coat Aluminum DE1650. I find that the Cast Aluminum has a better look than the Aluminum. Slightly more grey than aluminum. I first used it on the cylinder head of my old Benelli with good results. Still looks great after 700 miles.
Thanks for all the comments. Maybe tomorrow morning I will get some blue on the frame. I think that I have a solution for painting the frame without my custom stand.
Rattle cans have sure come a long way- great job!