Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Victory In Vermont - My Third License Plate Arrived!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool man!! Good luck, just follow the steps and you'll be good to go. Make sure the AZ DMV doesnt try and talk you into doing a straight transfer of the registration only. Inform them Vermont doesnt title bikes 15 years or older blah blah blah and this is in the place of a title. They will frown, go look at a book, and then issue you your title. Good times!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
    Cool man!! Good luck, just follow the steps and you'll be good to go. Make sure the AZ DMV doesnt try and talk you into doing a straight transfer of the registration only. Inform them Vermont doesnt title bikes 15 years or older blah blah blah and this is in the place of a title. They will frown, go look at a book, and then issue you your title. Good times!!
    Let `em frown all they like, it only lasts a second and you leave that with them. You take the title home with you...for life.
    Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post
    Let `em frown all they like, it only lasts a second and you leave that with them. You take the title home with you...for life.
    Exactly!!! One lady even said, "Thats just a notice I need the actual registration." I politely said, "That is in fact the registration, its just on the full piece of paper with perforations that I just didnt detach." She frowned checked with her boss and then started typing without saying anything. I had a title 2 mins later.

Post Thanks / Like
    This all sounds very promising. I have only just begun the process. The scariest thing for me is trying to find out if my VIN has been reported stolen by any state. I've had the bike for over 30 years and my parents and I bought it from a friend of a student my mom was currently teaching in Jr. High School. Her student was a bit of a hoodlum and I have no idea who his friend was. It very well could have been on the up and up but it seems like such a risk. I just want to finally have a title.

I've searched my parents house and they have no idea if there was a bill of sale or title or where either might be. They're in their 80's now and they have no memory of the event. So far my state DMV title check came back with "no record found" for that VIN. I think I can do a VIN check in my neighboring state without much suspicion.

Can/should I take just the frame to the police station to reduce the risk of them confiscating the entire bike? I've got Thousands invested in parts and too many hours to count and I'm just getting started in the reassembly process. I think if I can get past the potential theft concerns, I'd be home free for the rest thanks to Vermont. Any advice?

What do people do who just buy frames?...buy small to cut their losses? I suppose I could just tell them I only have the frame, but if my frame comes up stolen, I suppose I could always buy another frame and hope for the best, but now I lose my matching engine #. Maybe they'll start asking about WHERE I got the frame - I'd need an answer.

If I let it all be, I keep the whole bike but it but I never get to license or get to feel like it's really mine, even though it's been MY bike for 30+ years. Such a dilemma.

Post Thanks / Like
    Run your VIN through the NICB web site - National Insurance Crime Bureau. That will at least tell you if there was a theft claim on any insurance policy for it.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino (under deconstruction)
    1971 School Bus Yellow Aermacchi H-D Sprint 350
    1972 Candy Yellow CL100 K2
    1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
    1973 Mighty Green ST90 K0
    1974 Mars Orange CT90 K5
    1975 Topaz Orange ST90 K2
    1976 Shiny Orange CT90

Post Thanks / Like
    I had hell in Texas getting my 70 titled I had to go through the bonded title process. You can purchase a surety bond and the event it was stolen you would recover your losses. I purchased mine for 6000 and it cost me $150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b52bombardier1 View Post
    Run your VIN through the NICB web site - National Insurance Crime Bureau. That will at least tell you if there was a theft claim on any insurance policy for it.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I think I tried that but it seems I read that that database doesn't go anywhere near that far back.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk