Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Recycled Cycle

Post Thanks / Like
    The short story...

Reset float level.
    New intake, and nice level carb.
    Same 200 main jet, then down to a 170.
    Then back up to the 200 where, once in a while, if I rev it just right, it will go DEAD LEAN.
    I suspect if I put in a 210, it would happen easier.

Next time I get fired up, and have some time, I'll dig in deep.
    Wifey has been very patient with me, but I think I need to be, "good hubby" for a few days.
    "A man's gotta know his limitations"...and mine is just about to get PO'd. Lol
    hehe... he's starting to squirm.

2. Likes Tweakin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the new intake in place, try raising the float to the limit...i.e the point just below seepage from the overflow. I am suggesting "tuning" float level along the same lines as "oil tuning" a fork...gradually creep up on the limit.
    Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not far from the limit now. I had it set to about 20.5 to my eye, and it would leak a bit if left on the stand. I have it set to 22mm now. Recommended range it 24-26.

I think it's gotta be a problem with the tank or the remote petcock setup. When I rev the bike sitting still, the fuel line and filter that goes to the carb, moves. It moves in a way that I can only explain as the hose responding to suction from the carb. I don't see anything else that would make it move the way it does.
    I figure I'll start from the beginning and go all thru to removing the tank. See if I can find a restriction somewhere along the way. I bypassed the Petcock before, so it should be down to the tank, cap, or inline filter. The filter has actually been changed too...but changed to a identical new filter.
    I suppose it could still be a problem with the carb, since I'm not sure if the VM20 was similarly going dead lean with the big jets, or if it acted differently.

I have not yet ruled out a fuel tank issue.
    I think I have ruled out the pitched carb issue tho, and the float level.

This thing sure does seem to guzzle fuel tho. But I just attribute that to the huge jets I've been running. (You should see the bore of that #400 main. Lol. I laugh each time I look at it)

Post Thanks / Like
    I did check the plug for color today...different throttle openings, and running conditions. Probably 6 or 8 times, with 3 different jets. I saw a touch of color twice. The rest all looked lean to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a fuel filter that is LESS than ⅛" in and out...could that be a restriction?!!
    I think maybe, and I'm REALLY hoping it IS my restriction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7. Likes Tweakin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That wouldn't surprise me...at all. It's gotta be something simple, that affects two carbs the same way...that hasn't been tested yet. That doesn't leave many choices, does it?
    Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditch the fuel filter and run it. Hope the at id the fix you are looking for.
    69 Z50
    69 CT70
    72 CT70H
    72 CT70 88
    72 CT70H 108

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the gas tank out today and reamed both outlet nipples with a drill bit to make sure they were clear. Thought for sure that filter was my restriction, but eliminating it didn't solve the problem.

My second paragraph in #143... seemed like the carb was sucking fuel thru there with force, and it might have been.

I'd like to say eliminating the filter helped some, but I'm not sure. Next is to eliminate the remote Petcock, I actually already did, but by then...9:45...to late to race up and down my test strip I think. Test it tomorrow I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, tomorrow there's a 50% chance of afternoon rain...again(!)

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like
    All I need is a half hour or so to take it down the road a few times. Then I'll know if I've found the problem, or need to go back to the drawing board.